It's September! The 9th, already. There's been a little chill in the air the last few mornings. The regularity of cooler weather's arrival never ceases to amaze me. Warm weather in spring is always anyone's guess but early September seems to be very dependable on the weather count.
August was a bit crazy here. We were away for two long weekends. On a visit to Massachusetts, our home state, we managed a side trip to my alma mater, UMass Amherst. Lots had changed on its huge campus in the 30-something years since I'd been back, but not everything. Aside from the summertime lack of students lolling out on the grass or 'streaking' by (yup, I was there during those years), my old dorm at the top of the hill hadn't changed a bit.
The return 'home' up this hill several times a day, on foot or bike, was the subject of constant complaining. We must have been wimps!
And now, right at the bottom of the hill, a gorgeous new studio arts building. Can you imagine, during my years there, our intro design and drawing classes were held in a former, barely transformed, chicken coop! Alas, born too soon...
Over two separate weeks in the last month, we've had a painter here, finishing up our bedrooms. Since doors and trim needed to be painted as well as walls and ceilings, we opted to empty each room as he went, making a continual yet changing big mess in the others (including my sewing room). Very unsettling though I did opt to live with it a bit longer than needed, delaying moving things back from one room to use it as a beautiful blank design space.
You're probably getting tired of looking at this thing, but this is what I've been working on, still, and what a perfect project for these busy weeks when the house and our schedules have been a bit discombobulated. All I've had to do was decide on the next round, cut and mark the 2" squares and at any free few minutes, I could add a few more.
The close-up shot above shows my first 'make-do' round, as directed in our third set of instructions. Since Trip Around the World quilts were traditionally scrap bag projects, as rounds increased in size, quilters would need to use more than one fabric to complete one, 'making do'. I'd been trying at several points to add in the bee fabric but couldn't make it work until it proved a perfect, subtle spark in my row of gray floral.
It's still quite a challenge, this TAtW project. Even when I think I know what I'll be using next, once a round is completed, it seems to change the look of the whole thing and I'm back, ruminating over possibilities. But once decided, it's off to the races.
So now the painting is finally complete and our second floor is back together (new mattresses delivered this morning). I'm falling into my comfortable routine again, against the hum of school buses cruising by the house all day ~ three elementary schools on our street! A few newer projects have been added to my handwork rotation as well as a couple of oldies you might recognize. It's good to see September arrive.